Serves 4 castaways, preparation time less than 30 mins, cooking time c.20 minutes
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans tomatoes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 500g/1lb 2oz pork mince
- 90g/3oz streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 300g/10½oz dried spaghetti
Heat a frying pan when hot add the tomatoes and olive oil and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the garlic, chilli and half of the basil and cook for 10 minutes, until reduced and thickened. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a little sugar.
Place the pork mince, bacon, thyme and parsley into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Season with a little salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Divide the mixture into 16 and shape each portion into a small ball.
Place the meatballs into the tomato sauce and simmer for 5-8 minutes until the meatballs are completely cooked through.
Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
Add the spaghetti and cook according to packet instructions.
Drain the spaghetti, then add to the tomato and meatball sauce. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the remaining basil.