I ripped this recipe out of the London Paper one day and just love it. It’s very easy, and particularly useful if you forget you’ve invited friends round for a weeknight supper and have to grab ingredients quickly at the M&S at the station.
Serves 4 - ready in 10-15 minutes.
- Enough penne pasta for 4 people
- Half a large chorizo sausage or all of a small one, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes, havled
- 2-3 tbsp of pesto OR tapernade - whichever you prefer
- 1 bag of washed rocket - these are usually fairly small which is perfect
- Parmesan and black olives to garnish
Put the penne on to boil in a large saucepan. Fry the sliced chorizo in a non-stick saucepan on a low-medium heat so it cooks in its own oil, turning when slightly crisp on one side. When the chorizo is cooked, set aside and throw in the halved cherry tomatoes and the balsamic vinegar to the pan so they cook in the flavoured oil. Keep on a medium/low heat.
When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the saucepan. Then stir in the chorizo and tomatoes, quickly followed by the pesto or tapernade.
Next stir in your rocket, which will start to wilt, and you’re ready to serve onto plates, garnishing with plenty of parmesan and a few black olives